1. The short story Slab Smash is a perfect introductory story. This will give you an idea of the general vibe of the series.
2. If you like that, you should probably go ahead and read MTDAA Issue One. That's the original introductory story I created (almost 20 years ago!), that establishes the core team.
3. Next, take a few minutes to read the file cards for the core team to learn a little more about them.
4. Still digging it? Great! The collection, Tour of Duty (Volume 1), includes the first ten issues of the comic series. You can purchase it in pdf or print.
5. You should follow that up with the Year of the Ant (Volume 2), also available to purchase in pdf or print. This was the first true graphic novel of the Army Ants, and chronologically follows the events of Tour of Duty.
6. Now that you're all in, you can dive into the current graphic novel, Fall of Valhalla (Volume 3). You can read Chapter One, Chapter Two, and Chapter Three online for free. This graphic novel builds on events of the previous two books, so you will want to read those first.
If you are interested in learning more about the Roleplaying Game for MTDAA (where you get to actually play a little military ant and blow stuff up!), you can download the free Player's Guide to Michael T. Desing's Army Ants. If you like that, you can upgrade to the complete MTDAA RPG rulebook, which is available in pdf, softcover or hardcover.
Finally, if you REALLY like Army Ants, and want to support its continued growth - getting a backstage pass to the process behind the games and comics - you can sign up to become a Patreon Supporter, and be able to say that you're a member of the Ant Army!