Sunday, January 24, 2021

Long Time No See

 To say I've been in a creative drought would be an understatement. I've been pretty meh about everything lately, but in the last day or two I've shaken some rust off of my brain and started tinkering again. I thought I'd post an update and share some ideas for a space game I'm toying with...

It's an upgrade and update of Shards of Tomorrow, but set in a different part of the galaxy, and using the refined mechanics from Tales of the Splintered Realm. As I was thinking about classes this morning, I am leaning towards abandoning classes altogether. You decide on a concept, you pick a primary attribute (this increases automatically each level), and you select a few talents to start you off. One talent is your primary talent (marked with *). You receive +2 to Feats with that talent. That's about it. I posted months ago about species, and I'd keep those thoughts going (except that as a Terran you get a few perks that other species don't get). The rules would give you some suggestions for common archetypes. For example:

  • Bounty Hunter (CON) Hunting*; Armor; Sharpshooter 
  • Disciple (WIS) Mysticism*; Parry (note: Mysticism counts as two slots)
  • Smuggler (DEX) Pilot*; Quick Draw; Sneak

The idea being that you build the character you want, but the rules give you a quick list of maybe 20 common archetypes as 'starter kits' if you want. However, you can go in any direction you want. You can even decide that your character has Mysticism, but is not actually 'all in' as a mystical warrior; you have the talent, but you don't make it your primary talent, and you may not have WIS as your primary attribute. This would include the 'sensitive' characters who can do mystical things but are not crushing windpipes with the power of their minds.


5 comments:

  1. Welcome back! I hope your life gives you some brainspace to think about the things you enjoy blogging about!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think 'brainspace' is a good way to put it. I guess there was a lot of clutter to work through. Feeling better now - we'll see how it goes :)

      Delete
  2. Good to have you back!

    I've found myself inspired by learning to better use the map making software I bought over a year ago. Other World Mapper is getting easier to use, plus I've gotten into adding new map icons.

    I sat down and created a map of a section of The Backyard for a one-shot adventure I am planning. A recon mission with Gnats, Spiders, and a new Termite mound to find and deal with.

    Here is a link to the map, if any is interested in how it turned out.
    https://www.mediafire.com/view/ryzb4ngkzioc7u2/Backyard_Sector_NW_003.jpg/file

    ReplyDelete