Thursday, January 13, 2011

Some Random Thoughts

1. In thinking about the dragon posted yesterday, I thought more about Resolve. One of the uses would be to take one action as if against mooks; your wizard can throw his flame bolt as a fireball that targets all creatures (even ones of comparable level) in the vicinity; the dragon can breathe frost on all targets- even those more powerful; the hero can take a mighty swing of his sword, attempting to strike a number of opposing knights. I like that; it’s self-limiting (since you can only use a resolve point to do this), but it’s heroic. It can’t really be abused; however, this allows a group of heroes to take on a group of hill giants of comparable level in epic fashion, and they don’t have to spend all night rolling dice (since each of the giants is built on 80 CPs, and takes a while to wear down).

2. I’m becoming more and more convicted that there should be nothing ‘generic’ in the game. I get that veracity is aided by the fact that most monsters you face are pretty normal; veracity is also aided by having most rooms in a dungeon be empty. Neither of these is productive to fun fantasy gaming, at least to me. As I get older, I have less and less time to game (or even think about gaming); the last thing I want to do when I sit down to play is open a door to an empty room, or pick up my sword to fight another ‘generic’ wolf.

No comments:

Post a Comment