Thursday, February 28, 2013

Game Design: Soaking Damage

So I posted an update to the actual play tonight, and I've been mulling over the problems posed by soaking damage... basically, if you have high Body, odds are good that you can go a long time without taking any hits.

What if I get rid of the soak option altogether? Combat now goes more quickly, because you never roll to soak. If you have protection (a flak jacket, armor, invulnerability) you automatically reduce damage by the rating of such protection. This seems to streamline things pretty considerably, and keeps Body from being the monster stat that it's turning out to be in the early play testing. This means that a creature Body D10 and Invulnerability +2, which used to be able to soak from 3 to 12 hits (more with a die explosion) now soaks 2 hits from every attack.

This is much simpler and keeps the system clean. I was tinkering with options for additional dice and scaling things upward, but scaling down and back is probably the better way to go as I continue designing. I want to add more layers to the game, and adding a layer like this to the core mechanic would have severely complicated things needlessly...