Saturday, March 5, 2022

Resolute Resources

I created two resource pages for Resolute (there's a list to the left <---); I figure that I will just keep a running tally of all monsters and spells I create for the game; some things will show up in pay what you want updates, some will be in the core rules, and some will be things that I create for my own game that I pop in.

I am torn (and would welcome feedback) on how to release Resolute. The draft is now ten pages, and it feels close to done; I'm going to keep tinkering with it for a bit because I really want it to be locked down, but it's getting there. 

I'm not sure how to release it. Part of me wants to make it Pay What You Want, so more people get it. However, that has two built-in problems. A LOT of people will download it if it's Pay What You Want, but they will pay nothing, and it will just take up space on their hard drive (or their cloud server... or whatever). Then, people who have never actually looked at it can go ahead and drop 2 and 3 star reviews without comment. But, a lot of people can get it, and maybe some will come back and drop a tip. Most will never crack it open or think about it again.

The other part of me wants to put it up for sale for $1. I like that there's some investment to get into the game; it allows it to trend on sales pages if it gets enough downloads, and it makes it more likely that the people who get it will actually look at it too, since they paid for it. It's a really minimal investment, but I kind of want people to feel like they are at least making some commitment to it when they download it.

I already know that any releases to support it (unless they are really, really substantial) are going to be pay what you want. A lot of the support will just be posted to the blog, although I know that a regular presence on Drivethru is vital to building a base of players and awareness.

Thoughts? Opinions? 

4 comments:

  1. I think $1 is a better proposition than PWYW for all the reasons you've cited. You could always make one or two follow-up adventures PWYW to see if that boosts sales (of the rules) when you release them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah - that's my gut instinct. Plus, if I release it in two formats (see my response to your other comment), then you are getting a lot for your dollar.

      Delete
  2. Would you consider doing a Print On Demand digest version, or is the page count too small ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the page count is too small... although I do like the idea of a 16-page booklet that is digest-sized. Convenient to carry around. Maybe I'll re-format the rules to see if I can squeeze them into that format too. Release a second version that you can print at home.

      Delete