Monday, January 24, 2022

Drones vs. Bots


I have already written a bit about bots, and how they are going to work in the game. However, I was thinking that there should be lots of incidental animatronic things all over the place. Hence, a second class of non-sentient life is born! (metaphorically) - the drone. Drones are single-purpose, limited-task constructs that reply to a handful of commands, and can carry maybe twenty pre-programmed responses. I could see how this could be role-played for fun... a servo drone who only has four-letter words and phrases programmed, and has to find the most 'appropriate' response in any context. Good fun all around. 'D-732998, is dinner ready?' is met with "smells like S***' or 'go F*** yourself' because those are the closest things it has in its programming - that is roleplaying GOLD I say. Pictured above are a servo drone, a security drone, and a battle drone. The battle drone is painted in the 'tough little mudder' battle configuration. I was thinking of a mosquito on wheels, and my pen didn't disappoint.

2 comments:

  1. This is a great example of how fun it is to watch you do world-building, Doc. I, for one, welcome our foul-mouthed, mosquito-nosed drone companions :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm going to post more on world building, and some of my discoveries around that, next :)

      Delete