Thursday, October 27, 2022

Burned... out.

This year has already gotten away from me a bit. I had every intention of doing Teaching Ted twice a week for infinity, but this year is... it's something. I feel like I owe you something of an explanation, so here we go...
  1. I've had a sinus infection since August that won't clear up. I'm on my third round of antibiotics. My immune system is shot.
  2. I teach 8th graders. They are little walking carriers of infestation. 
  3. #1 and #2 are a bad combination.
  4. We joke about this in education... teachers routinely say 'this is the worst group I've had in a long time' or somesuch about students. Rose-colored glasses and the past and all that. However, I can say without equivocation that this is the most CHALLENGING group of students I have ever had. The drama, the fighting, the behaviors, the educational gaps... it's just incredibly rough. I'm asking elementary reading teachers for strategies, because I have students with deficiencies I never thought I'd see in eighth grade. It's all a lot. 
All that said, it's already been a long year, and it's only going to get longer. I have no motivation or energy to spend on anything but treading water right now. When I think about teaching, I don't see any humor in it or anything to joke about. It's all kind of bleh for me at the moment. I'm having trouble getting fired up for much... I stopped watching the LOTR TV show after two episodes; I gave up on She Hulk after three... I can't be bothered to turn on Andor, because I just don't feel like watching, even though I've heard it's awesome. I can't bring myself to care. I think about rolling some dice and think I'd rather take a nap.

It sounds like I'm in a real funk or depression, but I'm not. I'm in pretty good spirits overall, but I just don't have any energy for anything other than basic life maintenance right now. So creative stuff is not even on the back burner. It's sitting in the sink in a pile of dirty dishes. I don't know how soon I'll be trying to dig it out of there.

Be well. Hope we talk again sooner than later.

Mike 

2 comments: