Friday, February 24, 2012

Breaking Point

In drafting, I typically hit breaking points where I have to make a design decision- I've just hit the break point for the next version of Resolute Supers. My current draft of the game is over 30 pages, and I haven't written many of the rules for it yet!

Realistically, I don't know if the game can compete against heavy hitters in certain categories. I know for sure that I can't compete as a full-scale rules system on the order of the new Marvel game or DC/Mutants and Masterminds. They're too big, with too many resources behind them. I'm one guy. Not going to happen.

On the next level is Icons and BASH, which I think I could compete against- but to what end? They both have large followings and seem to do many things well. I'd be another contender in the mid-sized game field.

The last level is small scale- keeping always to 16 pages or fewer (which has been my publishing model for some time), and a $1 price point on everything. I can't offer as much as other games, but I can offer a little game of big adventure.

Oh, hey... that's my tag line, isn't it?

So, I'm at the editing step where I need to take things out or slim things down. The first thing that is coming out of this edition is setting material. I've tried to shoehorn setting and background into the rules, but it ends up being a cursory and superficial glimpse of the game world- you see the tip of the iceberg and have to fill in the details. Ultimately, the core rules should be just that- the rules- and everything about the world should come later. Instead of giving a general overview of the default setting, there is no implied default setting.

This should help me get back to 16 pages... I'll let you know how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment