Thursday, April 5, 2012

Gaming Resources

I would like to put up some resources for the game- in addition to official materials I'm producing, and am in the midst of trying to find the best way to do this. Here are a few options...

1. The Forum. I have a relatively empty forum where stuff can go. I'm not sure if, in the grand scheme, this will be the best way to organize things.

2. The Yahoo Group. As above. Again, this feels a bit outdated with other options that are out there.

3. A Wiki. I'm looking at wikispaces, and this seems to be the best way to go...

Really, the big issue I have is this- what can I actually create and post there as far as support for existing comic worlds? Specifically, I'm trying to figure out what appears to be a very grey area when it comes to copyright. I'd love to just go ahead and post stats for all sorts of official Marvel and DC heroes/villains, but I don't think that I (as the game's creator and the one who can make some financial gain from it) can be the one to post things there... can I? It seems like I shouldn't be able to, but then again, players can seemingly do so without any negative consequence. I feel relatively foolish even fielding the question, but if anyone has a clear answer for me, I'd love to hear it!

2 comments:

  1. damn good question. no real answer from me, but I would love to see one ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since I was getting nowhere with this, and I couldn't find a clear answer in my searches, I went to rpg.net... and found out quickly that this was a bad question to ask! Yeah, it's definitely copyright infringement for anyone to do this, but Marvel isn't going to go after a kid who's making up unofficial stats to play Spidey in his favorite game. However, since I am the publisher, they'd be all up in my grill (and I can understand why they would). I have plenty of original material and ideas, so it's not that this is an issue- it's just that I know people find it helpful to put a game into terms they already know... it doesn't tell you much that my character Tribune's Might is +8, but it informs you about the game to know that Spider Man's Might is +5 (for instance). You now have a point of reference about a character you know to make some comparisons between things.

    It's all good. I'll keep designing away, and let the player community create or not create what it will to support the game in other ways.

    ReplyDelete