Wednesday, May 21, 2014

On being a digital immigrant

I have to say, trying to figure out this new-fangled technology these kids use can be quite the experience!

A few weeks ago, I got an e-mail from Twitter (which I almost never use, but which I've been on the cusp of embracing and using) was possibly 'compromised'. I assume that's the kind parlance for hacked, since I suddenly was following 700 new people (many speaking some language I could not figure out for the life of me), and was re-tweeting those on my behalf (fortunately, I only have 4 followers, so no harm, no foul).

I logged in, got rid of all of those add ons, and changed my password.

And then thump. Twitter blocked me. I've spent a few hours going around and around. I keep going the same process, four or five steps that start at a friendly tutorial telling me I have to reset my password, and ending up at a wall that tells me my account is blocked, so I can't reset my password.

At what point do I call it a day? At what point do I accept twitter is just 'not my thing'?

Actually, what is my thing?
What SHOULD be my thing?

I'm not afraid of work or of investing time and energy into something. I don't want to spend 7 hours updating my tumblr page only to find out that no one goes to tumblr for webcomics. I simply have no idea. I've tried using the power of Google to help me, but the default assumption is that I know what the various social media sources are and how they can be used.

I don't, and I don't.

I mean, I JUST got into google + (and even that's not an all-in proposition) a few weeks ago. I am sporadic on Facebook.

Where should I be? What is a waste of time?

I'd love to hear some suggestions...

No comments:

Post a Comment