Sunday, July 21, 2024

Stalwart Team Up Mechanical Idea

I've got the first issue for Stalwart Team Up written, and I'm almost half way into the second, with idea threads already in place for the next two to three. I am very proud of how I'm capturing comic book action and combat, writing character-driven narratives, and bringing things to a satisfying conclusion. The first issue is a tight little story, and I think I have a model in place I can replicate.

I have started to think about how this can be effectively adapted into an adventure, and how this might mechanically emulate what I've written. The Marvel FASERIP system had Karma, which was a great way to emulate the roleplaying, character-based things that happen outside combat that have a direct bearing on what happens in combat. Peter did the right thing and helped Aunt May carry in the groceries, and because of this he has just enough strength left to lift the debris that traps him.

And I was thinking a simple rule tweak for solo play would emulate this very well, and would echo how the story is working so far. It's hero points.

Rather than starting the 'issue' with your full allotment of hero points, you start with 1. You can 'earn' up to your full hero point bank in the leadup to the final battle. If you stop to help the old lady, or hold the door, or do some other relatively minor (but still noble) thing, you get to add a hero point to your bank. There might be more opportunites than your actual hero points to earn them, but the idea is that the better you 'role play' a heroic character leading up to that final battle, the more resources you have to draw upon to be successful.

Again, this is utilizing a mechanic that is already in the system in a new way, allowing me to emulate comic book 'reality' in the game in a way that feels like it's appropriate. It's a great little mechanical tweak that will make solo play much richer, I would think. 

I'm looking forward to testing it out. It's a little odd to have the whole story written and then retroactively build the game experience to get there, because I had assumed I would do this process in the other direction, using the actual play as a way to brainstorm ideas to put into the actual story. I guess that the process matters less than that I get to the finish line, but I still find it interesting the way it's evolving.

No comments:

Post a Comment