Friday, August 11, 2023

Walking, LEGOs, Zen, and the Art of Cupcake Scouts


It's been an adventurous few days! One of our old cars got terminal news, so Mary and I decided to trade in two cars that had 150k+ miles each for one car with under 10k. Since Mary has to drive Grace all over creation for diving, and because I work a mile from home, Mary got a new car, and I have embraced a walking lifestyle. I also received my LEGO 3-in-1 Creator Castle set (it was 20% off!) and spent a good chunk of yesterday putting that together. I have been cleaning the basement, rearranging my LEGO room/Gaming Room/ Man Cave, and walked over six miles today (since the girls are away for the weekend, I'm footing it everywhere).
It's been fantastic. I have forced myself to slow down. I'm finding that I am more centered and present and just kind of in the moment. I'm in no hurry to do anything. I worked on the castle set on and off all day yesterday, and today started noodling with a Cupcake Scouts page. Any time in the past when I've worked on a comic strip or webcomic, I have a little clock in my head - I'm always trying to get the page done, so I can get the next page done, so I can... you get the idea.

With this, I just started drawing. And just kept drawing until it looked right or I was tired of drawing and went on to something else. And I ended up with an image I really like of the girls on their first quest (this will be part of page seven of the webcomic). 

School is coming up, and with it a drama club production, followed by a musical, with teaching and class advising and being a team leader all part of the equation. I'm going to be busy. A lot will be going on.

But if I can stay in this headspace, I'll be very happy indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment