Sunday, July 1, 2012

Looking Backward and Forward

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I'm undertaking a magical mystery tour of my previous work, looking at what has worked and what hasn't, trying to make sure that I don't leave any stone unturned in my efforts to develop my 'perfect' (for me) fantasy game system.

I've been struck by several things...

1. I've REALLY thought about most of these issues. I have found hundreds of files where I analyze combat sequence, discuss the differences between how armor should work, talk about building caster characters and magic... I've tried dozens of options for most of the rules I have, and I can honestly say that the vast majority of what's making it into the game represents the best ideas I have.

2. I have some great stuff on my hard drive. The campaign starters, character concepts, and game world notes that I've never published are much deeper and broader than I thought. I have a ton of stuff. Most of it is nowhere near publication-ready, and much of it ends up being specific to the game system I was working on at the time, but there's a lot of good stuff here to salvage, clean up, and publish.

3. I've started dozens of playtests, the vast majority of which I've never published online anywhere. I feel bad because I feel like I'm constantly starting my playtests over again (which I suppose I am), but most of the time it's prompted (as today is) by the fact that the game or world undergo sufficient evolution that the old playtest or the things I was trying to get out of it no longer apply. I have some pretty funny notes about the Temple of Elemental Evil that I will put up, just because I had fun re-reading it...

No comments:

Post a Comment