Tuesday, January 31, 2023

And Now For Something Completely Different

Have I ever told you about my strange side fascination with RPGs to simulate pro wrestling?

Yeah. It's been a thing.

I remember back in the 80s, there was a wrestling RPG that was advertised in PWI (Pro Wrestling Illustrated - I was as fixated on this as I was on Dragon Magazine and GI Joe comics). I was always interested in it, but never actually bought it. However, I decided to devise my own game, which I called PowerSlam, and which I tried to sell but failed spectcularly. I remember sitting in the family room at maybe fourteen years old, listening to REM's Automatic for the People on infinite loop, and writing this game. It was maybe 40 pages long, but I worked on it really, really hard for about a month.

It was pretty bad, but I worked on it like a madman.

Anyhow, I get a lot of wrestling stuff on my phone's news feed. I don't watch wrestling, but I'm always interested in throwback articles about Brett Hart, The British Bulldogs (my all-time-favorites), or the Macho Man.

I saw an article today, and it caused dominoes to start falling in my brain.

A few hours later, I had a draft for a wrestling RPG. I wanted to get the whole thing into two pages, and I think it works. It also seems to emulate wrestling matches as I remember them (not sure if they are still like this - but I have to imagine that there's not a lot new under the sun in the world of pro wrestling). 


I'll probably post it on DrivethruRPG at some point just to get some more eyeballs on it, but I'll tinker with it a bit before then. I like how it feels. I like the idea that I can put an entire promotion (with a roster of fifteen or twenty wrestlers, the titles they have, and their regular events) on a single sheet of paper. I definitely will create my WWF as of 1986 roster just to do it at some point. 

No comments:

Post a Comment