Saturday, January 14, 2023

OGL, We Hardly Knew Ye

Meh.

So, I know the first thing you thought of when you saw the drama unfolding around the OGL - 'doesn't Mike use that for his games?' - and then you thought, 'My God! What Have They Done?'

The deal is this. I don't make that much money doing this. I like tinkering with games and building them. I sometimes get to play the games I write, but more often than not I just end up writing more game stuff.

I like Hack'D & Slash'D. It's kind of fun. It has some nice things about it. It has stepped ten steps north and to the east from the source material far enough that fully disentangling it from the OGL is not all that overwhelming of a task.

So, I think I'm going to accept the inevitability of the OGL disappearing, and go on without it. While a second edition of Hack'D & Slash'D would be inappropriate after only two months, the changes to the OGL mean that this is now in the offing. So, my plan is to use this space to develop the new version of that game (apart from any propriety information), and then see if and how that could be a foundation for revisions of my other game systems going forward. I presume that at some point relatively soon I'm going to have to take them all down, so I'm preparing for that moment.

I honestly don't mind all that much - it gives me an excuse to write all new games again. Not like I have much else to do :)



No comments:

Post a Comment