Friday, January 28, 2022

Let's Make a Creature!

I finished the draft of the creature generation rules. Then I rolled up a creature. Then I drew it based on what I'd generated. This is so weird and specific yet also just flippin' awesome alien bug goodness. I mean, this is something I never would have come up with if I didn't have the random generator. Love this so much...

***



Example of Creature Generation:

·       For form, I roll 1D6 and get [4]. This is insectoid in some way.

·       For level, I roll 1D20 and get [12]. This creature is level 2. One 1D4 I get [4], so it has AC 16. On 1D6 I get [6], so it will be the regular 4 HD variety of level 2. On the 1D4 I get [3], so it has a Feat modifier of +9.

·       For its size, I roll 1D10 and get [9], which added to its level x2 [2x2=4] gives a result of 13; this is a large creature with D8 for hit points. For its move, I roll 1D6 and get [6] +2 = 8. It’s a fast critter. Its main attack (a bite?) deals 2D6 damage. I roll 1D6 and get 1. Wow. It has a second attack. I decide that the second attack will be maybe a tail or something that deals damage on a -1 die shift, so it will be 2D4 damage instead of 2D6. 

·       I roll for gifts and get [2]. Rolling randomly for gifts (page xx), I get invulnerable and energy reflection (rolling randomly, I get gravity). For invulnerable, I roll [4]; this creature will soak the first 4 points of damage it suffers every round. I decide to tinker with the gravity reflection a bit to make more sense for this creature. It has that second attack, so I’m going to tie this to the gravity reflection. It can neutralize gravity by pointing its antennae at a foe and emitting an intuitive wave that impacts the gravity affecting that creature, but any intuit using a pull action against this creature may have that turned back on them; it’s a rare situation, but it could happen. I think I’m ready to throw together a stat block for this thing. I will use the word gravitation and an online anagram maker to get… gan vitiator. That is so much cooler than I expected.

Gan Vitiator (Large Creature 2)

      AC 16 | HD 4D8 | Feat +9 | Move 8 

      Bite (x3 | +4 | 2D6); Antennae Strike (x1 | +4 | 2D4 | + see below)

      Invulnerable (4); Gravity (pull) reflection

The 4-meter-long gan vitiator lives amid dry wastes. It appears like an elongated beetle with thin antennae. Once per round, it strikes a target up to 4 meters away with its antennae. The target of a successful antennae attack must attempt a Feat or be pulled towards the gan vitiator; the next bite attack against that creature is made at +2. Any gravity (pull) attack against the gan vitiator allows the creature to attempt a Feat; if successful, the vitiator ignores the attack; on a natural 20, the attack is reflected back upon the attacker.

      Drinking blood from a dead gan vitiator’s heart forces the drinker to attempt a CON check. Failure means that the drinker falls ill for 1D4 hours, suffering -1 to all action attempts. Success grants the drinker the intuit push ability for 1D6 turns. Gan vitiator blood loses its potency 24 hours after being extracted, and this pure heart blood may only be extracted from a dead gan vitiator. For some cultures living near gan vitiator hunting grounds, this is used as a test of adulthood, and becomes a requirement of tribal membership. Gan vitiators build nests in shallow, rocky holes, and females will produce 2D4 offspring once per year.


No comments:

Post a Comment