Thursday, January 6, 2022

More Big Picture Thinking: Dudes with Guns

In thinking about how to approach the design of the game, I didn't know how to go about building the scale of the setting. I don't think I have it in me to create a hundred planets, and the thousands of creatures that inhabit those planets. At least, not for the core rules... so, I decided that the core rules provide a thin slice of the larger system. You are going to get a starter moon, notes about the nearby planet and other moons, a brief description of that star system, and that's about it. For that moon, you are going to get detail: the specific creatures that inhabit it, the political and economic forces that shape it, and the various factions that can pull the characters in. As Obi Wan would say, this is your chance to see "part of a larger world". 

To whit, this guy is the Mirdan Rimewatcher. These are the sentient species that is native to the moon called Banquo's Tooth. These guys are decent fighters, and would be good entry-level bounty hunters that might be after the heroes. This guy carries a modified Sivir Blast Rifle. As you can see, I gave the evolution from line drawing through final art.

2 comments:

  1. I am really liking your approach to this forthcoming core book. It will allow for super cool supplements featuring new planets, areas, etc, and keep things mysterious and "nebulous" (heh) in the meantime! Love the drawing, too, natch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I am about to blog about that very idea...

    ReplyDelete