Sunday, July 30, 2023

The World of Cupcake Scouts

One of the most enjoyable parts of this design process has been conceptualizing the larger world of the Cupcake Scouts. While the original ruleset hinted at some things, there was not much consistency to how it all fit together - it didn't have a unifying cohesion. I believe that it does now. There are several balls in the air right now, and one of them is initial thoughts on a webcomic series to align with the game. 

One of the things that I like is that I've tied some monster origins to the Cupcake Scouts. Ancient Greece had its own variation of Cupcake Scouts (Souvlaki Sisterhood? Feta Friends? Pita Patrol?) - and they went bad. This allows me to tie some of the female monster archetypes (specifically medusae and harpies in these rules) to the Scouts. There are five scout troops, and I am confident that I'll be able to link five monsters to them... medusae were the classic version of Seeker Scouts (and the 'eyes' thing is a great connection), whereas Harpies were the Singer Scouts (their song is now horribly corrupted). It's such a nice little link between monsters and the Scouts that makes the whole world feel more complete and unified to me.

I'm looking forward to people reading this. I hope you like it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment