Saturday, August 3, 2024

Cobbling The Book Together

After binging the rest of X-Men '97 (I couldn't help myself), I spent a few hours this afternoon and evening moving everything for Stalwart into a single document, and then started to work on formatting and organizing. I plunked in everyting that I think is necessary, and left a few spots for expansion/clarification where I have a few ideas... and the book is 83 pages and almost 40,000 words! Dang. The 'rules' are only about 24 pages, and then the rest is setting, characters, and background. Still, it's a bit of a beast. By comparison, Stalwart Age was 87 pages and 23,000 words overall. I increased the font one size (from 10 to 11), so the pages don't feel quite as jam-packed (and as my eyes get older, I need larger fonts - I am my target audience). That said, this is a much more complete package than anything I've done in a long time. 

I like the smaller format of the 6x9 book, but I think that a traditional 8 1/2 x 11 book (saddle stitched) is the best for gaming; I'm constantly bending pages in my trade paperbacks, but the big books lay nice and flat and are easier to manage. The bigger book also leads to more variety in page layouts, so that the whole thing ends up a little more interesting and varied throughout. The layout of the Stalwart books has been very easy, since it's a single column in a smaller space; this takes more management of the space, and I've already got a few pages I really like (and a few that bother me and will need work).

All-in-all, off to a good start.

I still don't know what to DO with this (like, is a Kickstarter even a viable option), but I figure I can probably have it done in a few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment