Sunday, August 11, 2024

Why it was almost Stalwart '86

As I look back at comics, 1985 was probably my 'best year' for comic collecting. This was the peak of my interest in (read: obsession with) comics and superheroes and all of it. It's also the point I've progressed to in my creation of Doc Stalwart and his world, so it makes sense to pump the breaks there - specifically in April of that year - hence, Stalwart '85.

However, I really (really) wanted to roll it forward one more year and do the game as Stalwart '86, and have the game world frozen in time on April 7, 1986. That was the day that the British Bulldogs captured the WWF world tag team championships at Wrestlemania 2. On that day, I decided that it would be the first ever "Michael T. Desing Day", and I have (literally) celebrated it every year since. It was the greatest moment of my young life (not exaggerating). The British Bulldogs were like superheroes that came to life, and to see them win those championship belts was the most exciting thing I'd ever seen - it was as cool as a superbowl championship. Since my actual birthday is the day after Christmas, I always wanted another day during the year to celebrate (since I always felt like my birthday got lost in the shuffle). April 7, 1986 gave me as good a reason as any.

But by April of '86 I'd already at that point started to divide my loyalties between comics and wrestling (and gaming), and comics were starting to move into third place. I had also started to get the first inklings of being jaded with comics - I was starting to find some of the stories a bit repetitive, and some of the events a little disappointing. I mean, this was the year Secret Wars II was in full speed - that sort of was the hallmark to me that Marvel had jumped the shark a little bit. 

But in case you care, I have Stalwart '85 locked in time to exactly one year before Michael T. Desing day, which would be April 7, 1985.

No comments:

Post a Comment