Saturday, August 10, 2024

Welcome to Midvale

Over the last few days, I've been in Iowa City with my daughter for a diving camp at the University of Iowa. It's been a  little tiring, but a lot of fun. I've enjoyed driving around the city, walking around, spending some time at the waterfront, and seeing part of America that I have no experience with. It is both very similar to, and quite a bit different from, the world of Western New York that I know.

But, everwhere I go, I have the same thought - this is how I always pictured Midvale. Granted, this is a city in 2024 and not 1984, but the feel of the city, its layout and landscape and topography, is very much what I envision when I think of Doc Stalwart's home town of Midvale.

It's got this inherent dissonance between modern and traditional; it is proud of its farming heritage, but there's a Starbucks on every corner. 

Nowhere was this inherent dissonance on greater display than in a street concert we walked through last night. As we moved through a crowd of white people sipping $6 smoothies and eating $10 ice cream sundaes, the band emoted about how the heartland is hurting and the coastal elites don't care... and people nodded and sipped their smoothies. 

In Buffalo, I can drive a few blocks and see HURTING. I see it. A lot of it. Go through my school district for ten minutes, and I see people hurting. It's pretty clear. I haven't seen the whole of Iowa City, but I've gone out of my way to go out of my way driving around, and I'm not seeing it. I'm seeing a lot of comfort and peace and stability. So, I'm not sure where this mindset comes from.

But I could see it wearing on Doc. Doc is a patient man - probably to a fault. He is able to see the other's side - also maybe to a fault. But I would think that being surrounded by some people who always feel like they deserve just a little bit more than they have, and that others are others are always unfairly taking from them, would wear him down. I would think that after another meeting where the mayor asks him if he could just 'help out a little bit more' than he does he would finally decide to go someplace where the needs are genuine. 

It is the birthplace of Doc Stalwart, but he just cannot live there. I love that his boyhood hero is heartland - this is something that is core to his character. He is rooted in the heartland. But, he also cannot stay here forever. Because there is genuine hurting out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment