Sunday, February 13, 2022

How Meta Can You Go?


If you like Easter eggs, and fan service, and obvious pop culture references, then you might have liked Doc Stalwart Annual #1. I mean, probably not, because almost nobody liked it. But somebody somewhere probably cites this as their favorite Doc Stalwart story of all time. But that person has problems.

As an aside, I want to thank several people who have been particularly inspiring, supportive, and kind to me as I've been doing this whole creative thing. You'll know who you are when you see. If you've really wanted to see yourself referenced in a Doc Stalwart story and you aren't here, I still have about 200 issues to write up at some point, so I can probably find a place for you. Special thanks to Rob Hudson for suggesting this idea to begin with.

Aside #2: Marvel's What If stories are about what would happen if things didn't happen as they did... but Spider Man is not a real person. I mean, there isn't really a guy named Peter Parker who really got bit by a radioactive spider, so aren't all comics just some level of 'what if'? I mean, when I open a comic book, I'm basically reading what if... so it's like Hamlet watching a play and commenting on acting - while it's an actor playing Hamlet playing the part of a person who does that. I like it that my comics are stories from a world that doesn't exist - but that's what comics are.

2 comments:

  1. Dr. D! Love this and the previous post. Waste Eggs for the win!!!

    The more I read these novellas the more I want to see the actual comics. Of course now I want to hear about the secret history of Colonel Roberts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. New Stalwart Press would prefer that we never talk about this annual again, so writers had to tread carefully.

      Delete