Saturday, February 5, 2022

Shards Working Layout Finished

I've just crossed an important milestone... the entire book for Shards of Tomorrow Second Edition is written and the initial layout is done! It looks pretty sharp. It actually clocks in at 46 pages and almost 26,000 words right now instead of 48 pages, which gives me room for a little more stuff. I have a few options for those two pages, plus a back cover... the back cover could just be a standard back cover, but I've liked using the back cover for some additional content on the last two books, so I could keep that going here. Options for things to add include:

More monsters for the Veth Tundra. I have three monsters right now, but could expand that to six or seven with another page.

Maps. I'd like a map of the Veth Tundra, maybe of the star system that Banquo II is in, maybe of the starter town of Relay Station, or maybe a hybrid map page that includes a few (or all three) of those. I'm leaning that way for the back cover.

An index. I had one in Tales of the Splintered Realm, but didn't bother for Stalwart Age. I think that the table of contents will be thorough enough that an index is not needed. 

The character sheet. That probably needs a page. I don't think I want that as the back cover, but maybe as the final page of the book. I like how I did that for Stalwart Age (rather than inserted earlier) because I think it is easier for someone to either print it out or to put it on a copier and make copies from the physical book if it's right inside the back cover.

That said, I want a few days away from the book to let the layout simmer a bit before I go back with fresh eyes in a few days. However, I still plan on starting work on materials for the first few issues of Dispatches from the Pale. I would like to release the core rules maybe around two weeks from now, and Dispatches from the Pale #1 and the print edition around March 1. Those seem like reasonable targets for me right now. 


3 comments:

  1. Thank you. I feel like my game 'trilogy' is nearly complete.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you get down to business, you really get down! I am in awe of how quickly you go from start to finish on these projects, and how well-tuned and developed they always turn out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep in mind that I'm home recovering from surgery and I don't have much else to do... so I have the time and space to do this right now. :) My schedule is sleep, eat, work on game, repeat.

      Delete