Friday, February 4, 2022

Layout Continues


I keep dotting I's and crossing T's, and I have suddenly found that the draft of the book is about 95% of the way there. I have a few small sections still to write, and possibly a little spot art to do, but this thing is pretty far along. It is going to be 48 pages. Here is a preview of the Veth Tundra Howler, which is not at all like a Wampa from Empire Strikes Back and I cannot believe you keep saying that. Anyhow, this gives you an idea of what a stat block looks like, and the kinds of information contained. I am defnitely going a little deeper with detail on each stat block, and I provide a drawing for any monster I add. With Tales of the Splintered Realm, I wanted to get 8-10 monster stat blocks per page, assuming on some level that many players would have preconceived notions of how these monsters might operate beyond what the rules provide. If you play RPGs, you know how goblins behave. I make no such assumptions here, and try to give an interesting or unusual twist for each creature so they are not just 'generic' monsters. A typical page is going to contain 2-3 creatures. The core rules give as much weight to rules for how to generate your own monsters as to giving samples.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment