Hack’D & Slash’D is a lean, fast, flexible, old-school fantasy RPG with several modern flourishes. While a previous edition of this game was rooted in the OGL, this new edition uses an original game engine, and is released under a Creative Commons Attribution ShareAlike license, allowing you to take, modify, and expand the game as much as you’d like. Hack’D & Slash’D:
- Uses 1d12 exclusively with one-roll resolution.
- Has flexible character building, allowing you to mix and match traits and tags to create any character you can imagine.
- Employs an innovative magic system that allows you to easily track mana and make strategic decisions about how and when to use magic.
- Includes simple and flexible rules for creatures, allowing you to quickly generate foes on the fly, or to develop more nuanced and unusual monsters, as needed.
- Provides simple, consistent rules for checks and task resolution with concrete guidance to resolve all common game situations.
Additionally, Hack’D & Slash’D is supported by several resources linked directly from the Splintered Realm blog. A living bestiary, campaign setting, and mega-dungeon are in progress, receiving frequent updates with new content. These will all be available as free resources in perpetuity.