Tuesday, May 28, 2024

Already Tinkering

I use the blog to 'think out loud', so as soon as I posted the previous post, I started thinking about the basic mechanics again... I like scaling numbers back whenever possible (which can be a challenge in a supers game), but I think pulling back one step would have some benefits. If we make D4 'normal human', this pulls all of the numbers down a little bit... Here's a revised chart for consideration:

Tier

SV (½)

Die

Descriptor

Normal

2 (1)

D4

Average

Expert

3 (1)

D6

Excellent

Paragon

4 (2)

D8

Remarkable

Super

5 (2)

D10

Amazing

Legendary

6 (3)

D12

Unearthly

Cosmic

10 (5)

D20

Beyond


I already like this a little bit better. It's cleaner and simpler, and I think the subtle changes to language make the tiers clearer. In Marvel terms, Hawkeye is an expert, Daredevil is a paragon, Spiderman is super, and Thor is legendary.

As for my world, this pulls all of Doc's stats back one tier, and scales his numbers back slightly. It also makes for a significant jump from legendary to cosmic. Cosmic is reserved primarily for NPCs and big bads - Ro the Ravager type stuff. I would think a character like the 'green goliath' could achieve cosmic-level might by raging, but that would be quite exceptional. This gets rid of the D16 (which is an awkward 'die' that requires several dice to achieve). This separates worldly heroes from true cosmic threats. Here's a revised proposed Stat Block for Doc:

Doc Stalwart - Legendary Hero (D12); Hits 12; Move 30'

  • Might D12 (6); Mind D12 (6); Power D6 (3); Reflex D8 (4)
  • Armor (6); Flight (60'); Gadgeteer
  • Brawling (+1 to hit melee); Profession (Scientist +2); Grit (+2 Resolve); Charisma (+1 Popularity)

No comments:

Post a Comment