Sunday, May 5, 2024

Hack'D & Slash'D FAQ

House Rules

I have altered the rules for losing mana, cutting these in half. A caster loses a mana point on a roll of 1 for a level 1-2 spell, a 1-2 for a level 3-4 spell, and a 1-3 for a level 5+ spell. This slows down mana loss, and also resolves a conflict for high level casters where they could conceivably roll well enough to be successful but also lose the mana point. 

Q: How does poison damage work? What does a resist indicate?

A: A character can only suffer 1 poison effect per round. A successful might check ends that poison effect entirely; you get a new might check every round. So, a poison that deals 3 damage per round for 3 rounds allows a resist in round 1, round 2, and round 3. If the check is made in round 2, no check is made in round 3 (since the poison has ended). Once the check is made in round 2, that character is able to be poisoned again.

Q: How hard are secret doors to find?

A: Secret doors should require a mind (sense) check at -1 edge to find. Concealed doors should require a standard mind (sense) check.

Q: Can you taunt foes to get them to pay attention to you?

A: I resolve this as a free action, requiring a mind check. As you are attacking, you yell at a monster to get its attention. If successful, you draw its focus. If not, I roll randomly to see who the monster goes after. You can try again every round to draw its attention from others. 

Q: How does unarmed damage work?

I have added rules for this to the Hack'D & Slash'D Companion.

3 comments:

  1. How much damage does an unarmed attack do ? I ask as my group were brainstorming characters and one wishes to play what is basically an unarmed martial artist. We settled on Might +2. He also wanted a final trait for expertise in a defensive style that was akin to having a shield (in addition to active defence). We agreed he couldn't use it in the same round as attacking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Well - I JUST saw this comment only 27 months later... sorry! I am tinkering with the rules now, and added something for this (although I'm sure you are LONG past needing my feedback on that). I think martial arts would need its own subset of rules if I was going to try and emulate the 'monk' class. Might +2 isn't bad, although Reflex +2 may make more sense if you wanted to resolve it as a 'weapon'. I would think that a monk would always want to take two weapons, using the other hand or a foot as a second attack each round (and opening up the possibility of using that second attack as an active defense).

      Delete