Wednesday, June 16, 2021

Vesper and Retro Vibes


As I was working on this drawing of Vesper, I was thinking about her origins, and the origins of Twilight Archer, her brother. And I was thinking about Kirby Krackle... and my own variation on it for her darkness control powers. I like this image. But I also made myself smile thinking about the first appearance of Twilight Archer... here's the first stab at it.

Doc Stalwart Issue 137: An Arrow in the Dark

When a middle school girl comes down with a mysterious, and dimension-shifting, illness, Doc Stalwart tries to help. When he discovers that the girl is being pulled into the shadow realm, he sets out to travel into that realm to free her in this one. He is accompanied by her brother, an Olympic athlete who takes on the title of Twilight Archer.

I can even picture the first appearance panel in my head. There's a reveal as Doc looks up (he's shadowed in the foreground) to see a full panel of Twilight Archer in costume... and the dialogue goes, "You don't need Arik for this mission - you need the TWILIGHT ARCHER." I love the idea of creating these random panels supposedly from comics published forty years ago. I think I"m going to go do that right now :)


No comments:

Post a Comment